2/52 Going Green

This dress was going to be the one-hour wonder… “I’m sure I could whip this up in an hour” I confidently told Andrew.  HA. HA HA.   Umm… no… I could NOT do it in an hour as I made a few rookie mistakes:
·  like removing the back seam will cutting out as it was “unnecessary”.   But it is necessary to be able to do the lining and flip it through properly without having to iron the seam allowances and then topstitch down the armholes like I did.
·  then I sewed the wrong sides together on the bodice and had to  unpick all 4 front darts and pin them and re-sew.
·  Or when I only had an invisible zip in the right length available which I am pretty crap at inserting.

image

But on a good note I did finish all my seams properly and it looks pretty when I twirl.

Inspired by this version of B5748 (http://dollyclackett.blogspot.com/2012/12/people-are-put-in-prison-ships-because.html) I did careful placement of my stripes with an excellent result.

More awesome stripes

image

So with the details format borrowed from Sew Weekly here is breakdown on dress two.

Fabric:  Striped Green Cotton (light weave) from curtains from the dump shop.
Pattern:  Butterick B5748 bought from online sale last year
Year: Retro 1952 reprint
Notions:  Zipper from stash and cotton
Time to complete:  3 hours
First worn:  Quickly for a picture on Sunday, then properly to work on Tuesday.
Wear again?  Absolutely and I plan to make another with the fabric I originally planned for it.
Total Cost:  $15 – but I still have another curtain which is enough to make another dress.

Preparation is key

I decided that if I was going to do the 52 dresses challenge I would have to get more prepared than an excel spreadsheet of patterns and dates and a pile of fabric on my table.

So this weekend I took advantage of the extra day off and got busy cutting out fabric.  I find cutting out the pieces the most tedious part of sewing, so I got a bunch over and done with while watching a movie on Monday afternoon and now I can just go sew in the evenings.  

The end result might not look to impressive – 10 shopping bags of fabric and patterns – but it was a huge weight off my shoulders.
image

So watch this space for the up coming:
5 dresses – New look 8094 (black paisley), Style 3394 (Hawaiian Styles), Butterick 3433 (border print trial fit for flamingos), Jade Colour block, Bad 80’s Moment.
2 tops – Drafted Batwing and Raglan Sleeve Tee
2 skirts – Knit wiggle skirt and Basic Skirt with pockets
1 Pair of shorts (for a friend)

1/52 Dotty for the Races

First dress of the 52 is complete. It is McCalls m6518. I bought this pattern online last year on special and the fabric I think I got from an op-shop for about $8 for 3m x 90cm. It is a heavy cotton with large and small navy dots on a white background.

The dress has three frills on the bodice, a straight skirt with a few pleats at the top and pockets in the side seams. I didn’t really make any modifications other than only lining the bodice instead of fully lining it. Also I was a bit rusty about inserting a zipper so I may re-do that at a later date.

image

Fabric: Spotty cotton
Pattern:  McCalls 6518
Notions: Zip and cotton fron stash
Year: 2012
Time to complete: 6 hours
First worn: not yet – was going to wear it to the races but didn’t like the weather so sewed at home instead
Total Cost: about $12