21/52 Here’s Ethel

She is bright and ready for summer.
image
I waited 24 hours to buy this fabric, which was a risk since it was at the Arthur Toyes half price sale, but I wanted to have a clear view on what I would make with it. I used the bodice of Butterick 5748 which I have used here and here, so I knew fit would not be a problem. For the skirt I made two rectangles, each using the full width of the fabric and pleated it into place.

image
Ethel is my new summer favourite and she has already had a couple of outings.
image
Wellington summer has been better than these pics show.
image

But it is still windy Wellington.
And when you take photos on the waterfront it can get interesting.
image

19/52 Vintage Vogue 6078

In contrast to my last bleak posting… I LOVE this dress.  I sewed it at a Fabric Hoarders sewing session and then finished it off at the sewing weekend away and it has been worn many times since.  I do not have a creative name for this dress as I always referred to it as my vintage vogue dress, in fact I was supposed to post it for the Monthly Stitch Vintage Challenge but I missed that deadline!  I got the pattern from Fabric-a-brac at the start of the year.  It is basically my size – I only graded up a little to ensure my hips fitted in.

image

The fabric is a cotton sateen from the sale table at Spotlight that I fell in love with.  I was a little concerned that the print might be too busy for the simplicity of the dress.   I also get wary when there are only plain fabrics used on the pattern images.  But it works!

image
My favourite part of this dress is the shaping panels on the front that have pockets with a welt style flap. I did manage to put one set of pockets on the wrong way as I had not fully registered all of the notches on the imprinted pattern pieces. After a quick unpick and many flipping around of the pieces I got them all lined up nicely.
image
The rest of the dress was a dream to sew. I had a little fitting issue due to the size of my rump, but Caroline helped me fit it properly by reducing my seam allowances in the hips and back.

image
I have worn it to a wedding and to work. It is amazingly comfy and soft but looks great.

image

image

14/52 LBD

I started this dress in June. This was inspired by a next dress that I tried on last summer and did not get a photo of.  I finally finished it  at the start of October and I am only posting it now because I have realised I don’t love it, I am not even sure if I like it.

I used a 1970’s Simplicity pattern which I cut my size and then had to take it in about 4 inches on each size and give it shaping.

image

I know a belt would make it a bit better, but i am not even inclined to try. I think it may head to the donation box.

image

The only redeemable feature is my favourite part – the sparkly buttons.

image

Christmas is coming…

I have been getting festive…and dangerous with the hot glue gun. I was inspired by pintrest christmas decorations and managed to rummage through the stash to find some fun scraps for my makes.

I started with my key pinterest make which is a set of Retro fabric lights. I found some cute scraps a fabric and made a basic template based on the tutorial at Kojo Designs. For the reels at the top I gave a vague description to Mrs C at Made Marion and she led me to these cute little wooden cotton reels that are a little over 1cm high.
image
I didn’t have any flash red/white bakers twine so I used embroidery thread. I only deviated from the tutorial by sewing the thread into the top of the ‘bulbs’ instead of gluing it to the fabric. I would have taken photos of this but I was too busy burning my thumb on the hot glue gun…also not part of the tutorial.
image
I am stoked with how this turned out and may make another set soon.
image

I also intend to create some felt decorations but I haven’t finished them yet, including some fleece Gingerbread men. Decorations are not complete as I got distracted by making some neck pillows for the boys for Christmas.

image
I basically winged the pattern by measuring the youngest around the neck, creating a U shape and cutting out a bunch! I made the yellow piping using some thin cord and bias tape (again from Made Marion). Everything else was from the stash. The inners are cotton and filled with beanbag beans.
image
I made a couple of extras for my nieces as presents.
image

Also my friend Ness who I have known forever has started a blog of her crafty
creations. So If you want to be inspired by more Christmas decorations check out Nowls Nest