I have made a few skirts in the last couple of weeks, so in no particular order I will start with the brightest – another Miss Chalmers. This time she is bright and sassy, made from cotton/poly blend from the remnants table at Arthur Toye.
This time I added an inch in length as I find the length on my previous version borderline for my comfort.
Nothing else to note except as I had already cut this out before I went on holiday it only took an hour to sew and finish.
And then a photobomber wanted to be in my shots but not recognised.
Next I made a black A-line for a friend, I haven’t sewn for my friends before…mostly cause I’m selfish. But my friend mentioned in passing that she couldn’t find a plain black A-line skirt anywhere. About a month later I asked if she had found one yet, so I offered to make one for her birthday present. From her Pinterest she gave me her inspiration, a Prada Skirt seen below.
I used Skirt-a-day sewing : create 28 skirts for a unique look every day to draft a skirt to her measurements. Except I stuffed up a little and I am glad I made a test version for her to try out. The skirt has 3 panels on the front and 3 on the back, using the dart line to make the panels. I wanted it to be a bit more interesting than an A-line skirt with just one front panel and a back.
The pattern pieces above show how it worked together. This was my first time drafting a skirt for someone else and I was really happy with the result. Again I did the zip ‘properly’ by basting the seam and basting the zip in place. All of the insides were overlocked and the surprise inside was the waistband of kiwi cotton.
The final skirt in my trio was a modification from an op-shop buy. I found this “silk” skirt for $6 at Foxton Salvation Army. I’m not sure if it is really silk but it is light and comfortable and my size.