This dress was inspired by the WSBN Facebook group, when someone posted this fabric in a different colourway.
I liked it but it was not WOW! I was in Auckland at the time and had a small amount of time to fabric shop so I went to Centrepoint fabrics and after being overwhelmed by all the prints
Again I had to wait until I found a pattern that really shouted out to be matched with the fabric and I went with the princess seams of McCalls 6741 which I got from Arthur Toyes closing down pattern sale. The great thing about this print is that birds are evenly distributed with heads up and down so I could easily lay out my pattern pieces. I also managed to avoid bird boob – bonus points for that.
I was planning on making the sleeveless version, however since it is definitely Autumn…almost winter I thought to add the cap sleeves. I work in warm office so a cardigan, slip and tights will see me through with this. Before I did this I had to do my favourite adjustment a LBBA (Low Big Boob Adjustment) by taking out excess fabric in the princess seam above the bust so I don’t have flappy fabric on my upper chest.
The only other change I made was to do a facing instead of fully lining it – mostly because I’m lazy and could be bothered cutting out a whole other dress in lining. I just traced the neckline off the pattern pieces to make neat little facings.
This is a twirly swirly fun dress and thanks to Mel for taking sneaky photos at the Fabric Store the other day.