I first posted this in the Monthly Stitch …way back in June… but for completeness wanted to have it here on my blog as well.
Ever since I made my first Pavlova top by Cake patterns last year I’ve had plans to make another and when deciding what to make for Indie Pattern month’s fangirl competition I decided to go for it as it was once of the few patterns that I had more than one piece by the one brand.
I used a grey light/lacy knit that I got for $3 a metre at the Fabric Warehouse sale last year. I wanted this top to be more versatile than my first version so I lengthened the bodice so it could wear with more of my skirts or jeans as I find it hits my waist and can leave a gap across my stomach with some clothes. I made the ties as long as I could fit on my fabric and I also lenthened the sleeves so they are wrist length instead of 3/4 length and put a cuff on them to finish it off.
The skirt is the Pavlova Skirt from Cake. I have made this before – most recently here – and my lesson learnt on this pattern is that I have to cut two sizes smaller than my measurements for it to work for me. I don’t know why Cake patterns cannot do basic maths to make a circle work, but after making three I am adamant it is not correct. You are better of using a circumference calculator and doing some simple maths yourself.
I used a fabulous brocade that I found on the sale table at spotlight for $8/m. I love the colour and the balance between the soft grey and the stiff brocade. A used a button from my stash for on the waistband.
This outfit came together exactly as I wanted and I feel very glamorous in it. I have worn it out many times now and it is a firm favourite in my wardrobe
I want to show you my new Pendrell top. It is the first time I have sewed a Sewaholic pattern and I got got it from Dresses and Me a few months ago…what do you mean you can’t see it….
How about now… No?
Okay…winter is definitely coming to Wellington and I am about to show off my new short sleeve blouse…
I used a quilting cotton from the sale table at Spotlight and the only intentional adjustment I made was to take 8cm off the length as this is a very long top. I did make one other small change… I added a keyhole feature to the neckline which is held shut with an awesome brooch from Smash Palace who use old plates to make their jewelry.
I created this feature as I had an overlocking incident when finishing my inside seams and I accidentally cut a wedge out of the front neckline. I just curved out the missing chunk and bound the edge before binding the rest of the neck.
I will definitely be making another one of these – hopefully without any extra alterations. I also made another Pavlova skirt by Cake Patterns to go with this top. After the first one not fitting I wanted to give it another go as I really want a circle skirt that fits. I re-took my measurements, re-read the instructions and cut into some burgundy wool from the stash. I sewed the side seams and tried it on.
The pin above shows where my side seam should be…8cms from where the current side seam is. This means the skirt is 16cm too big for me. The pattern states it has 2 inches of ease – which seems too much in my opinion – but 16cm = over 6 inches! So I put all instructions aside, cut off the offending inches and made up the rest as I went along.
In my random making up I didn’t leave a big enough gap for a zip so I went old-fashioned and put domes in and a hook closure with non-functioning button on top.
Now I have a circle skirt that fits.