I am not a pink person, I never have been and I Love this dress.
But this fabric drew me in, also it’s price was crazy good ($3 a metre at a Fabric Warehouse pop up sale) and I had already made a top in the blue version of the fabric. Then I walked past a designer store in wellington and realised my good taste was shared. So I rushed off and made this dress… Ha ha… just kidding. The fabric sat in my cupboard for a year, or so.
In a fit of inspiration I pulled out a simple ‘80s dress pattern with a bloused top and a simple A-line skirt that was not going to compete with the strong patterned fabric and got to work.
I cut it all out – the fabric is a spongy feeling crepe that loves to fray so I had to overlock all my seams and since it was reluctant to be pressed (a.k.a no natural fibres were harmed in the creation of this fabric) I also top stitched down my seams. I put the outer shell together pretty fast not even looking at the instructions and then I put the facing together – again overlocking and top stitching all my seams. Next I had to just put the two together… except I couldn’t.
Because my bodice needed to look like this (warning -highly technical drawings coming up).
And mine looked like this:
I unpicked the top stitching, overlocking and seams on the centre back of the facing.
I unpicked the top stitching, overlocking and seams on the sides of the outer bodice.
AND I cut a centre back seam on the outer bodice (as I had thought I was saving time by cutting it on the fold!)
I promptly had to re-overlock all the cut edges – see comment above about fraying like mad.
Then the bodice went into timeout for 24 hours so we could all get along a bit better.
After this everything came back together nicely I ended up with a comfy dress for work or the weekends.
My youngest boy insisted on being the photographer for this session, so this is as good as it gets.